Artistic Painting with Illustrator: Object-Creation Brushes
Discover how to paint and draw with Adobe Illustrator's powerful object-creation brushes. In this course, artist and author Sharon Steuer will show you how to use art brushes, pattern brushes, scatter brushes, and brush-like symbols to warp, bend, repeat, stretch, scatter, and distribute objects along a path, and quickly populate scenes with complex groups of objects. You'll learn how to scale, colorize, and modify your objects; create different versions of brushes; edit the underlying paths; and fix common mistakes. You'll also see how to prepare artwork to make into brushes, resize brushes, and understand which brush or symbol is appropriate for different drawing situations. Plus, learn to paint with raster objects in dynamic new ways, and auto-generate corners for vector and raster pattern brushes.
See the previous course in the series, Artistic Painting with Illustrator: Natural Media Brushes, for Sharon's insights on more traditional tools like the Paintbrush and Blob Brush.
- Creating and experimenting with object-creation brushes
- Preparing artwork to make into brushes
- Scaling and distorting brushes by varying line weight and stroke profiles
- Stretching versus repeating portions of a brush
- Colorizing complex brushes
- Fixing problem brushes with vector editing tools
- Exploring different ways to make and use pattern brushes
- Customizing pattern brushes and adding auto-corners
- Modifying scatter brush parameters
- Adjusting brush definition and tablet pressure parameters
- Fixing common mistakes
- Using scatter brushes versus symbols
- Warping and bending raster art using brushes
- Combining stroke effects with brushes
- Hi, I'm Sharon Steuer, and welcome to Artistic Painting in Illustrator: Object Creation Brushes. This course is part of the Artistic Painting in Illustrator series, which also includes a course on natural media brushes. But in this course, we're going to cover the object creation brushes and effects. So instead of just making marks, these brushes let you paint with objects, allowing you to incorporate gesture, color, nuance, and variations on your original artwork. We're going to look at a range of samples, and we're going to look at how to customize and modify brushes.
And if you're in CC or later, how to prepare and use raster brushes as well. We'll look at different ways to create art, pattern, and scatter brushes from multiple vectors, and even raster objects. And explore different ways those brushes can be applied and modified. Finally, we'll look at some of the features that are specific to Illustrator CC, such as painting with raster brushes, and working with automatic corners for pattern brushes. We'll be covering all the standard way of using these tools, but also some unusually creative techniques. So let's get started with Artistic Painting in Illustrator: Object Creation Brushes.
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artwork187,120 Views
Using Symbols in Illustrator61,819 Views
Designing Gradient Dot Patterns with Illustrator34,207 Views
Illustrator Insider Training: Rethinking the Essentials423,187 Views
Technical Illustration: Creating a Cutaway44,866 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,677,422 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Mastery301,996 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Advanced391,930 Views
Deke's Techniques1,563,467 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Intermediate547,075 Views