Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video All type, part of Designing a Poster.
In this the third of our historically inspired posters, I'm going to create a…poster that is in the style of a Victorian poster, using exclusively type and…type ornaments for the adornment.…So, we are going to begin with the type already set and all we need to do is…add some type and ornaments to give it a bit of flare and personality.…So I'm going to come to my Layers panel. I've got my Type layer locked and all…of this stuff is going to go on the background layer. Now the type that …I'm using, here I'm using Bodoni because I like the strong contrast between thick…and thin and elsewhere I'm using Akzidenz-Grotesk, which is a forerunner of…Helvetica. And more or less historically appropriate to the type of thing that…I'm trying to do.…
So let's begin by adding a frame around the whole thing. I'm going to turn on…my guides and I'll start by adding the frame to my margins and then just to…expand it beyond the margins, making sure that I have the center reference…point selected, I'm going to come to my Control panel and add 18 points to the Width. …
Adobe InDesign CS4 and Illustrator CS4 Essential Training are recommended prerequisites to fully execute the techniques in this title.
- Generating ideas for layout and design
- Combining InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Establishing a workflow that blends maximum efficiency with maximum editing flexibility
- Choosing appropriate typefaces and imagery
- Choosing colors that convey the message
- Making the most of images
- Creating mockups for client approval and in preparation for printing