Learn how to add a varnish plate for special finishes in this video.
- [Male Voiceover] In this movie, we're going to…make our own spot color to apply to a shape…to indicate where a varnish would go,…as a sort of special finish as part of the…printing process.…Now, just before I do that, I ought to mention…that whenever you're doing this sort of thing,…you should always consult with your…print service provider, because they may have…special requirements.…But, essentially, the process will be…what you're going to see just here.…
So, I have three layers inside of this Illustrator file.…I've got a background just there…and the cassette tape itself.…And on a layer, but invisible, above that,…I've got this varnish layer, and that's…just a shape that is essentially…a combination of everything on the…underlying layer with these holes…knocked out for the spindles of the cassette.…So, what we need to do here is go to…a panel, either the color panel or…the swatches panel.…
Either of those would work.…And then, up to the flyout and choose a new swatch.…Now, the smart money here, of course,…would be to call this something associated with…
Watch Tony's companion course, Photoshop for the In-House Designer, to learn time-saving techniques using Photoshop templates, presets, brushes, and more.
- Producing print and digital graphics
- Using artboards, layers, and libraries
- File output formats
- Using Asset Export
- Creating symbols and libraries
- SVG interactivity
- Print production
- Using Illustrator plugins
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign for the In-House Designerwith Claudia McCue10h 33m Intermediate
Photoshop for the In-House Designerwith Tony Harmer1h 44m Beginner
1. Producing Print Graphics in Illustrator
2. Producing Digital Graphics in Illustrator
3. Basic Print Production in Illustrator
4. Using Plugins
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.