Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding transparency to gradients, part of Illustrator: Seeing Through Transparency.
One of the nicer things that Adobe has done with regard to gradients is that as…of Illustrator CS4, you have the ability to assign opacity values to individual…stops or color stops that appear on a gradient and now also inside of…Illustrator CS5 we also have the ability now to apply transparency or opacity…values to individual mesh points in a gradient mesh.…Let's see how that works here inside of a document.…I have this file opened up.…It's called flowerpot.ai.…
Let's start by looking over here at the bottom of the file where I kind of have…this black area that would kind of act as some kind of a reflection or some…other kind of a cast shadow maybe of the flowerpot itself.…Now I could normally fill this with a gradient, a regular black to white…gradient, but if this were on some kind of a background, or I wanted to place…this on a pattern, or on top of another image,…I would really want a way for me to have the gradient go from some kind of…color to transparent.…So let's see how to do that.…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator: Coloring Artwork (2011)with Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator: Rethinking the Essentialswith Mordy Golding5h 7m Intermediate
Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Toolwith Mordy Golding4h 39m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.