Illustrator Insider Training: Drawing without the Pen Tool
In this installment of the Illustrator Insider Training series, Mordy Golding shows how to draw vector artwork quickly, precisely, and efficiently—without having to think about technical concepts like anchor points or control handles. The course highlights intuitive drawing techniques using the Pathfinder functions, Live Paint groups, Shape Builder tool, and variable-width strokes. It also describes the sketching workflow and features in Illustrator that use pressure-sensitive drawing tablets, allowing designers to focus more on their creativity.
- Drawing artwork versus building artwork
- Sketching ideas on paper
- Creating curves with the Reshape tool
- Recording actions for speed and accuracy
- Working with the Pathfinder functions
- Understanding how Live Paint works
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Building and coloring artwork at the same time
- Turning variable-width strokes into filled paths
- Adjusting the behavior of the Pencil tool
- Drawing with the Calligraphic brush
- [Voiceover] Hi, there. I'm Mordy Golding and welcome to Illustrator Insider Training, Drawing Without The Pen Tool. Illustrator has plenty of other drawing tools and functions that can help you draw art work more quickly, more efficiently, and more precisely. And that's what this course is all about. I'll begin by showing you how to think about art work before you start drawing it. This advance planning will give you a better idea about the tools that you'll use and the approach that you'll take to complete a drawing. Then, you'll learn how to draw basic shapes and paths, the basis for just about any art work.
Next, you'll explore the many ways to assemble art work. Turning basic shapes into more complex ones, using features like Pathfinder and the new shape builder tool that was added in Illustrator CS5. You also explore a powerful and often misunderstood feature called Live Paint. In addition, you'll learn new ways for adding expression to the paths that you create by modifying strokes with variable weights and thicknesses. Along the way, I'll share tips, insights, and advice on how to get the most out of using Adobe Illustrator.
Just as I always do in the Illustrator Insider Training series. So, if you're ready to spend more time expressing creative ideas, join me and learn how to draw in Illustrator without using the pen tool.
Up and Running with Flash Professional CC327,894 Views
Designing Icons for the Web50,716 Views
Creating an Animated Infographic with Edge Animate192,639 Views
iPhoto '09 Essential Training216,804 Views
LastPass Password Management Fundamentals73,711 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,633,291 Views
Illustrator CC Essential Training (2013)3,019,140 Views
Deke's Techniques1,435,609 Views
Photoshop CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,429,883 Views
After Effects CC Essential Training2,533,490 Views