Bert Monroy: The Making of Times Square, The Tools
Take a virtual journey to the bustling streets of New York in Bert Monroy: The Making of Times Square. Digital painter Bert Monroy reveals how he created the minute details that build the impressive 108,000 x 21,600 pixels, 25-feet wide photorealistic portrait of this iconic intersection.
In this installment, The Tools, Bert demonstrates how he uses the brushes, filters, and textures in Photoshop to create everything from the trees in Central Park to the billboards on Broadway, and shares his techniques for keeping his project organized with layers and groups. He also touches on the importance of channels and channel calculations, and how the evolution of the tools in Photoshop from CS3 to CS5 shaped his work.
- Making a chain brush
- Understanding the layers in lights
- Using the 3D tools in Photoshop
- Using layer styles
- Creating wood and fabric textures
- Applying a layer mask
- Linking layer masks with layer styles
- Understanding channels
Welcome to the tools used to create "Times Square"
- In this installment, I'm gonna show you all the tools that I employed to create my painting "Time Square," and I pretty much used all the tools in Photoshop. And we're talking about filters and brushes and channels and layers. There's so many tools in Photoshop that allow you to do anything that your mind can conjure up. Now what's really important in this installment is that you really look at not necessarily what I'm doing, but how I'm doing it. Because I'm going to create things like a cowboy boot. And you may never have to create a cowboy boot, but it's the steps that I took to create that cowboy boot that might be just the answer for something that you're faced with at the moment.
Sometimes just a slight change in color or the mode, or some little change in the layer style is gonna have a dramatic difference in how that end result is going to be. I want you to really pay attention to how things are being done so that you can create your own magic using this wonderful tool, Photoshop.
Photorealism with Bert Monroy: Volume 1547,741 Views
Bert Monroy: The Making of Times Square, The Techniques92,939 Views
Photorealism with Bert Monroy: Volume 2188,767 Views
Artistic Concepts with Bert Monroy56,146 Views
Bert Monroy: Dreamscapes Volume 392,485 Views
Deke's Techniques1,560,305 Views
Drawing and Painting in Photoshop - The Great Training616,647 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,676,368 Views
Pixel Playground532,297 Views
The Practicing Photographer1,780,276 Views