- View Offline
- Researching the design and brainstorming ideas
- Setting up a document in InDesign or Illustrator
- Choosing typefaces, colors, shapes, and imagery
- Hand-drawing type and using different type treatments
- Creating illustrations from scratch
- Using and adapting photographs for illustration
- Preparing the book covers for printing
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Nigel French and welcome to Designing Book Covers. Designing book covers is an exciting assignment for any graphic designer. Walk into a book store and you can't help but be struck by the range of styles used in contemporary book cover design. In this course, we'll start with examples of good book cover design, brainstorm ideas, and we'll create designs with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, using a variety of different design approaches. As an extra challenge, we'll be designing not just one book cover, but three, as part of a series.
We'll see how to develop our ideas, including the design of the sometimes neglected back cover and spine, and make sure that our three covers work as a set, with consistent design elements. Of course, we'll be looking at preparing our book covers for print. So, if you're ready, let's get started with Designing Book Covers.