Designing a Book Cover
Join author Nigel French in Designing a Book Cover as he walks through several approaches to creating professional, engaging book covers using Adobe Creative Suite applications. This course covers document setup, composition and layout, illustration, typography essentials, and printing. Exercise files accompany the course.
- Researching the design and brainstorming ideas
- Setting up a document in InDesign or Illustrator
- Choosing typefaces, colors, shapes, and imagery
- Hand-drawing type and using different type treatments
- Creating illustrations from scratch
- Using and adapting photographs for illustration
- Preparing the book covers for printing
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Nigel French and welcome to Designing Book Covers. Designing book covers is an exciting assignment for any graphic designer. Walk into a book store and you can't help but be struck by the range of styles used in contemporary book cover design. In this course, we'll start with examples of good book cover design, brainstorm ideas, and we'll create designs with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, using a variety of different design approaches. As an extra challenge, we'll be designing not just one book cover, but three, as part of a series.
We'll see how to develop our ideas, including the design of the sometimes neglected back cover and spine, and make sure that our three covers work as a set, with consistent design elements. Of course, we'll be looking at preparing our book covers for print. So, if you're ready, let's get started with Designing Book Covers.
Designing an Invitation56,864 Views
Designing a Calendar68,947 Views
Designing a Brochure (2009)482,012 Views
InDesign CS5: Print Production Guidelines278,963 Views
InDesign CS4: Typography496,318 Views
Deke's Techniques1,435,609 Views
InDesign CC Essential Training (2013)2,871,101 Views
InDesign Secrets1,432,467 Views
Illustrator CC Essential Training (2013)3,019,140 Views
Muse Essential Training1,405,772 Views