- View Offline
- Working with templates
- Combining type and images
- Selecting and preparing images
- Experimenting with color and transparency
- Designing with a grid
- Applying consistent formatting with paragraph, character, and object styles
- Laying out the track listing
- Creating a logo
- Making a print-ready PDF
Skill Level Intermediate
- Hi, I'm Nigel French and welcome to Designing a CD Cover. Designing record covers and CD covers is what got many graphic designers hooked on their profession. Even though MP3 downloads have surpassed CD sales, a short browse in any music store is enough to tell you that there are a lot of CDs out there and they all need designing. CD package design is one of the most fun things to do as a graphic designer. In this course, we'll start with examples of good album cover design, then brainstorm ideas and create designs using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, in a variety of different styles.
This is a real project for a real band. We'll see how to develop our design ideas across the different elements of the CD package, the booklet, the inside and outside of the inlay card, and of course, the disc itself, and we'll make sure that our files are print-ready, and take all the boxes required by our commercial printer. So if you're ready, let's get started with designing a CD.