The traditional IP addressing scheme (called IPv4) is quickly being replaced with the much more advanced IPv6 scheme. IPv6 has several benefits over IPv4, and good techs know how to use it in their systems.
- Sharing folders within a workgroup can be a bit … interesting simply because … we're still living in a legacy of a 30 plus year old … network function used to be called Microsoft LAN Manager … and today it goes to a number of different names. … So, there's a lot of terms on the A plus, … let's cover these real quick. … Number one, the original methodology by which Microsoft … shared stuff was called NetBIOS/NetBEUI … just like TCP/IP, it was NetBIOS/NetBEUI. … NetBIOS was the naming system and it would … reduce you to only like 15 characters. … And then NetBEUI was actually what did the communication … and created the connections between the systems. … Now this didn't use TCP/IP. … In fact, it lived exclusively on MAC addresses. … It was completely useless for anything … but small local area networks. … So as TCP/IP became more common, … Microsoft recognized that they had to be up with the times … and they came up with what was called NetBT. … NetBT simply means Netbios over TCP/IP. …
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- How TCP and IP work together
- Special IP addresses
- Port numbers
- Working with DNS
- Basic and advanced router configuration
- Troubleshooting networks
- Connecting to a Wi-Fi network
- Repairing wireless connections