In this video, Mike shows how virtual private networking (VPN) works and why people use VPN connections. He discusses the types of protocols and clients that make this work today, and walks through a generic VPN setup.
- I spent a lot of decades on the road, … teaching people about computers and networks. … I've got close to a million miles … flying all over the world, and as a result of that, … I've spent a lot of time in airports, … wishing I was back at the office. … It would be so nice if I'm sitting in Denver … or in Amsterdam or somewhere in Canada, … when I'm sitting with my laptop, … it would be nice if I was back in the office … where I could print to my printers, … where I could share folders … and I could access stuff off of my file servers. … Well, a lot of other people do, too. … or a VPN. … Basically what we're doing is we're taking the internet, … the most public of all networks, … and turning it into a fake, a virtual, … private network. … We're taking the internet, … and it's as though we're taking a chunk of CAT-6 cable … from our switch all the way out to the Denver Airport … and plugging me in. … I've got an IP address, just like I'm at home. … I can see all the shared resources …
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Internet tiers
- How dial-up and broadband connections work
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
- Classic email protocols
- Setting up a generic VPN
- Typical IoT setups and configurations
- Setting up a new virtual machine (VM)
- Networking with VMs
- Cloud ownership