TCP is the most popular protocol to work with IP, but it isn’t the only protocol. Learn about User Datagram protocol (UDP) and Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP).
- So, I've got a problem. … I've got a bunch of these voice over IP phones … that I need to get plugged into my network. … Now, at every workstation I've got two connections, … and these are basically just network devices, … but I don't want them to be on the same network … as all my computers and everything. … So, what I kind of need, is like, two networks. … So all these cables are running … into my main distribution frame, … but I don't want to just plug everybody into one switch, so-- … because I want them to be separated. … So, I could buy another switch, … that would be one thing I could do. … But I could also do something very, very cool, … and that's called a VLAN, or Virtual Local Area Network. … A VLAN takes one physical switch … and electronically turns it into two or more switches. … It literally separates the local area network … into two local area, or three, or however many you need, … and this way, I'm going to keep my voice over IP phones … on like their own separate network, …
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- How TCP and IP work together
- Special IP addresses
- Port numbers
- Working with DNS
- Basic and advanced router configuration
- Troubleshooting networks
- Connecting to a Wi-Fi network
- Repairing wireless connections