The UDP protocol can be used to create a flood of packets. In this video, install and learn how to use the Low Orbit Ion Cannon, otherwise known as LOIC, to launch a UDP flood attack.
- [Instructor] Let's take a look at the … low orbit ion canon, or LOIC. … LOIC is used to generate a massive amount of network traffic … in order to consume bandwidth, … and exhaust network or application resources. … Such a high rate of traffic … results in performance degradation, … and potentially a loss of service. … A user armed with LOIC can perform denial of service … against a target site, by flooding its server … with illegitimate TCP, UDP, or HTTP packets. … On its own, one computer running LOIC … can't generate enough TCP, UDP at once … to overwhelm the average server. … It takes thousands of computers, … all targeting a single server, to have any real impact. … A distributor denial of service … by coordinating many individual attacks. … Consequently, LOIC has become notorious … due to some highly publicized attacks against Sony, … PayPal, MasterCard, and Visa. … It was at one stage the weapon of choice … for the hacker group, Anonymous. … LOIC is now a legitimate testing tool, …
- What is denial of service?
- TCP SYN, Smurf, and UDP flooding
- Deauthenticating a wireless host
- Flooding HTTP
- Using BlackEnergy
- Flooding a SIP server
- Detecting P2P attacks with PeerShark
- Defeating DoS attacks