If you're coming from a non-IT career, it's possible to start a security career, but you may have some catching up to do. In this video, discover the IT basics you should understand before pursuing a career in cybersecurity. Learn about the IT concepts you should know as well as the courses Marc recommends you take to quickly fill in any knowledge gaps.
- [Instructor] Practically all cybersecurity jobs…require at least a basic understanding of IT.…But you might be in a job right now…that doesn't require IT skills.…If that's the case and you don't already know…IT fundamentals, now is the time to come up to speed.…IT basics can be divided into six broad categories:…computer hardware and peripherals, operating systems,…office productivity software,…servers, networking, and coding.…
As I walk through these areas,…ask yourself how well you know them.…All of them can be important…to a successful cybersecurity career.…Computer hardware and peripherals…includes processors, hard drives, memory,…printers, and other items.…These might not seem like they are related to security,…but all these items can be the source of security problems.…For instance, design flaws in computer processors…called Spectre and Meltdown made headlines…because they could allow attackers…to capture information they shouldn't be able to access.…
A cybersecurity professional needs to have…at least a fundamental understanding…
- Identifying your potential
- Targeting a career or specialization
- Researching jobs
- Locating training
- Shadowing cybersecurity experts
- Earning certifications
- Studying IT basics
- Revising your resume
- Applying for jobs
- Acing the interview
- Creating a professional brand
Skill Level Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
IT Security: Key Policies and Resourceswith Gregory Michaelidis23m 44s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Transitioning from an IT Career
3. Transitioning from a Non-IT Career
Studying IT basics3m 46s
4. Resume and Interview Strategies
5. Increasing Your Chances of Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.