In this video, Marc Menninger shares how he would write a methodology for a technical security assessment. See what information is usually included in a methodology and learn how they can be written in the security assessment planning document.
(upbeat music) … - [Lecturer] Let's review the key points … that a methodology section … of a security assessment plan should have … and how one might look for a given scenario. … This scenario was an external covert test. … And your methodology won't look exactly like mine, … but it should have at least how the data will be gathered, … how the security controls will be tested … and when testing will be conducted. … Let's take a look at what I wrote for this methodology. … I won't read this to you, … but I'll point out that I described how … the data would be gathered … and how the security controls would be tested … and when the testing would be conducted. … You can pause the video … if you want to read through the methodology I wrote. … Again, yours doesn't have to look exactly like mine, … but you'll want to cover the same key points. … You can use this methodology as a model to follow … when it comes time to write … your next security assessment plan. … …
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.