In this video, Marc Menninger shares his solution for the type of technical security assessment he would pick for the given scenario. Use this information to help you select the correct type of technical security assessment in the future.
(upbeat music) … - [Instructor] Let's see if you selected the correct … security assessments for the scenarios. … In the first scenario, … because you're testing how vulnerable your organization … is to an internet-based hacker, … you'd want to conduct an external assessment. … This means that you'll test the strength … of your organization's perimeter defenses. … And since this security assessment will be done … without the knowledge of the IT or security staff, … that makes this a covert task. … In the second scenario, … simulating a malicious insider means that this will be … an internal security assessment. … You'll focus on testing … internal systems for vulnerabilities, … and by giving advance notification to your organization's … IT and incident response teams, … that makes this an overt task. … The next time you need to conduct a security assessment, … you can compare it to these scenarios to help you decide … which type of assessment is best. … …
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.