In this video, Marc Menninger shares how to install and run Hashsuite, a password cracker. See how to crack passwords from a sample file of password hashes. Discover how password crackers work, which can be a valuable skill when conducting technical security assessments.
(upbeat music) … - [Instructor] In the previous video, I challenged you … to try brute force cracking a password hashes … with Hash Suite. … If you were successful, you should have found more … than 600 passwords with your first pass. … Let's take a look at how Hash Suite password cracking works. … You can see I've downloaded, installed, … and opened Hash Suite. … Following the instructions I gave you … in the challenge video, I'll click on the first tab … in the top left of the screen, then click on … Import, From file. … Then I'll click on the sample_pwdump.txt file … and click open. … As you can see, that loaded 967 password hashes … into Hash Suite. … On the main tab, the box next to charset is checked. … And in the parameters sidebar, I'll set the maximum size … to six characters. … We're all ready, so I'll click the Start button at the top … and let the scan run. … Here, you can see the key space is more … than 109 billion keys or combinations of characters. … That sounds like a lot but a good computer can cycle …
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.