In this video, Marc Menninger shares how to install and run Nmap. He demonstrates how to run a Nmap scan against your host computer and explains how Nmap detects which ports are open and attempts to identify the operating system of your computer.
(upbeat music) … - [Instructor] Now that you've installed … and run an Nmap scan, … let's look at the results I get when I run Nmap … on my system. … Here you can see I have Zenmap installed and running. … This is a nice GUI interface for Nmap. … You can also run Nmap from a command line, … but Zenmap is a little easier to use … and it does a good job of presenting the results. … I'm going to run a scan of my local system … just to show that Nmap is working … and to get some quick results. … To do that, … I'll enter the loop back address of my system as the target. … 127.0.0.1. … The default profile for the scan is intense scan, … which we'll keep. … You'll see that there are many different types of scans … to choose from. … In the command field you can see that Zenmap … has prefilled the Nmap command … that will be used for the scan. … This is the command you would enter at the command line … to conduct the same scan. … This command will also change … if you change the scan profile. …
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.