If you don't have work experience directly related to security, you need to find other ways beyond getting certifications or degrees to gain the knowledge you need to successfully transition to a cybersecurity career. In this video, Marc recommends ways you can show initiative in your own time to gain cybersecurity experience.
- [Instructor] To create stories with impact,…writers use a technique called show, don't tell.…The more detailed actions, thoughts, and feelings…the author writes about, the more the story…connects with the audience.…The same technique can be used when interviewing…for cybersecurity jobs.…Rather than tell the recruiter or hiring manager…how passionate you are about security,…find ways to show that you're serious…about a cybersecurity career.…Since you're coming from a non-cybersecurity job,…it's smart to find ways to demonstrate…your commitment to the security field.…
You're looking for tangible real-world evidence…that cybersecurity isn't just a passing fling for you.…Ways you can show initiative include,…studying for and achieving cybersecurity certifications,…taking cybersecurity courses,…pursuing a security related college degree,…volunteering at a charitable organization…that needs security help,…and building a physical or virtual lab…and applying security controls.…Of course, these cybersecurity initiatives…
- Identifying your potential
- Targeting a career or specialization
- Researching jobs
- Locating training
- Shadowing cybersecurity experts
- Earning certifications
- Studying IT basics
- Revising your resume
- Applying for jobs
- Acing the interview
- Creating a professional brand
Skill Level Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
IT Security: Key Policies and Resourceswith Gregory Michaelidis23m 44s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Transitioning from an IT Career
3. Transitioning from a Non-IT Career
Studying IT basics3m 46s
4. Resume and Interview Strategies
5. Increasing Your Chances of Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.