If you're currently in an IT career you may have access to an excellent resource for gaining cybersecurity skills: your security colleagues. Learn how the people who support and manage the security in your organization can help you gain the skills and knowledge you need to transition to a cybersecurity career.
- [Instructor] If you're transitioning from an IT role,…one of the best resources…for quickly coming up to speed in cybersecurity…might be sitting right next to you.…IT people often work closely…with cybersecurity professionals,…and they can rapidly help boost your security knowledge.…A great way to learn from a cybersecurity colleague…is to offer to help.…Hardly anybody will turn down an offer for free assistance.…This might be a better approach…than asking someone to be your mentor,…which can sound like extra work.…
Ask what their most challenging problem is…and find out what you can do to lend a hand.…Think of simple tasks you can do…that will make a big impact…like writing security standards, scripts,…and documentation or drawing diagrams.…Doing this will help you learn security concepts…and help your security colleague at the same time.…You may be too busy, though,…to get this extra security work done during the workday.…If so, talk to your boss…and try to get the time to help with security.…
Assisting the security effort…
- Identifying your potential
- Targeting a career or specialization
- Researching jobs
- Locating training
- Shadowing cybersecurity experts
- Earning certifications
- Studying IT basics
- Revising your resume
- Applying for jobs
- Acing the interview
- Creating a professional brand
Skill Level Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
IT Security: Key Policies and Resourceswith Gregory Michaelidis23m 44s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Transitioning from an IT Career
3. Transitioning from a Non-IT Career
Studying IT basics3m 46s
4. Resume and Interview Strategies
5. Increasing Your Chances of Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.