Honeypots are very useful tools to get insight into how attackers work. In this video, learn what a honeypot is and how netcat can be used to set one up.
- [Instructor] The final application of netcat … that I'll look at is setting up a honeypot. … So called because it's an attractive-looking trap … intended to tempt trespassers to use it. … Honeypots are often exposed on the internet … for the purpose of detecting unauthorized … remote access attempts. … I'll prepare a simple honeypot in port 25 of Hydra, … which doesn't engage the remote attacker, … but it will record the source of any probe that's attempted. … I'll create a honeypot subdirectory … by entering mkdir honeypot. … I'll create an empty log file, … and set the access rights to enable netcat to write into it. … We'll need banner text for the service. … I've created that already, so let's take a look. … This is just a banner, announcing to anyone … connecting to port 25 that the service … is EZ-Mail version 1.33. … I'm making it look like the server … is doing some form of verification, … possibly a source address check. … Of course, it isn't. … It's just displaying the text. …
- Hackers and the kill chain
- Viruses, spyware, and adware
- Detecting malware with Windows Defender
- Using Windows Firewall and Linux iptables
- Scanning with Nmap
- Monitoring network communications with Netcat
- Combating application-level threats
- Scanning a website to check for vulnerabilities
- Capturing intruders through packet inspection
Skill Level Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Why Cybersecurity?
4. Network Scanning
5. Network Connections
6. Vulnerability Scanning
7. Web Applications
8. Monitoring Packets
Next steps1m 27s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.