Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Race conditions, part of CompTIA CySA+ (CS0-002) Cert Prep: 2 Vulnerability Management.
- [Instructor] Race conditions are a particularly dangerous … security flaw and require careful attention … from software developers and security professionals … in order to prevent them. … A race condition occurs when the proper functioning … of a security control depends upon the timing … of activities performed by the computer or the user. … If the timing doesn't occur as expected, … the software may behave in an unexpected manner. … A common example of a race condition … is a Time of Check to Time of Use, … or TOCTOU, vulnerability. … In a TOCTOU vulnerability, software first checks … to see whether an activity is authorized … and then waits some time before performing the action … that is authorized. … The catch it that the authorization status … might have changed during the time that elapsed. … Let's take a look at an example of a bank account. … Imagine an ATM machine that dispenses cash. … The algorithm for the machine might work … something like this. … First, the user inserts an ATM card. …
We are a CompTIA Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Configuring vulnerability scans
- Reporting scan results
- Barriers to vulnerability remediation
- Analyzing scan reports
- Common server, endpoint, and network vulnerabilities
- Software security issues, such as SQL injection
- Access control vulnerabilities
Skill Level Advanced
Learning Vulnerability Managementwith Lora Vaughn53m 54s Beginner
Learning Threat Modeling for Security Professionalswith Adam Shostack41m 41s Intermediate
Threat Modeling: Information Disclosure in Depthwith Adam Shostack29m 23s Intermediate
1. Creating a Vulnerability Management Program
2. Configuring and Executing Vulnerability Scans
3. Remediating Vulnerabilities
4. Analyzing Scan Results
5. Common Vulnerabilities
6. Software Security Issues
7. Specialized Technology Vulnerabilities
8. Access Control Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.