If you meet certain qualifications, then you are more likely to find success when transitioning from your current career to a career in cybersecurity. Discover how work experience, professional certifications, and even your personality traits can make a difference to hiring managers when you apply for security jobs.
- [Narrator] If you've looked through cybersecurity…job listings, you've seen that most jobs…require years of prior work experience,…a Bachelor's degree, and professional certifications…on top of the minimum job skills.…But let's say you already have the skills…to be successful at the cybersecurity job you want.…Being technically experienced might not be enough, though,…because hiring managers are looking for people…who are well-rounded.…That's why you'll see cybersecurity job listings…include specific soft skills or personality traits…as qualifications.…
I'm going to talk about seven of these traits…because these are the ones I see most frequently…and I think having these are important…for a successful career in cybersecurity.…As I go through them,…ask yourself if they apply to you…or what you can do to enhance them.…The first one is collaborative.…You'll need to work well with others…in order to get your job done.…Think of concrete examples of times…you've had to collaborate with others…to finish a project.…
A good example might be teaming up…
- Identifying your potential
- Targeting a career or specialization
- Researching jobs
- Locating training
- Shadowing cybersecurity experts
- Earning certifications
- Studying IT basics
- Revising your resume
- Applying for jobs
- Acing the interview
- Creating a professional brand
Skill Level Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
IT Security: Key Policies and Resourceswith Gregory Michaelidis23m 44s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Transitioning from an IT Career
3. Transitioning from a Non-IT Career
Studying IT basics3m 46s
4. Resume and Interview Strategies
5. Increasing Your Chances of Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.