Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Privilege escalation, part of CompTIA CySA+ (CS0-002) Cert Prep: 2 Vulnerability Management.
- [Instructor] Software developers must take care … to write code that is not susceptible … to privilege escalation attacks. … Escalation of privilege attacks … seek to take normal user accounts … and transform them into accounts with administrative rights. … This can be especially dangerous … on systems that have external exposure … allowing someone on the internet … to take control of a server. … Privilege escalation vulnerabilities often arise … as a result of buffer overflow issues … or other security vulnerabilities in code … that allow an end user to execute arbitrary instructions … on the server. … When the end user gets access … to the underlying operating system, … he or she can take advantage … of privilege escalation vulnerabilities … to leverage that access into administrative privileges. … There are some basic mitigation strategies … that developers and operations teams can take … to reduce the likelihood of privilege escalation attacks. … First, developers should perform input validation …
We are a CompTIA Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Configuring vulnerability scans
- Reporting scan results
- Barriers to vulnerability remediation
- Analyzing scan reports
- Common server, endpoint, and network vulnerabilities
- Software security issues, such as SQL injection
- Access control vulnerabilities
Skill Level Advanced
Learning Vulnerability Managementwith Lora Vaughn53m 54s Beginner
Learning Threat Modeling for Security Professionalswith Adam Shostack41m 41s Intermediate
Threat Modeling: Information Disclosure in Depthwith Adam Shostack29m 23s Intermediate
1. Creating a Vulnerability Management Program
2. Configuring and Executing Vulnerability Scans
3. Remediating Vulnerabilities
4. Analyzing Scan Results
5. Common Vulnerabilities
6. Software Security Issues
7. Specialized Technology Vulnerabilities
8. Access Control Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.