Even if you successfully transition to the cybersecurity job you wanted, your security training shouldn't end there. If you plan to have a long-term security career you should be constantly learning in your chosen security field. Learn the steps you can take to become an expert in your security field.
- [Instructor] Many career advisors will recommend…that your skills be T-shaped.…This means you should have deep expertise…in one specialization,…which is the vertical bar of the T,…and broad skills in other relevant areas.…I think that's great advice,…and it applies perfectly to your career in cybersecurity.…Let's say you love forensic analysis…and you want to specialize in that.…Then you'll want to build a deep understanding…of everything related…to being a successful forensic analyst.…
You'll also want just enough understanding in other areas…like legal processes and malware protection…so that you can collaborate with and learn from people…who are highly knowledgeable in those areas.…Of course, employers want to hire experts,…but becoming an expert…in any field takes time and dedication.…Make sure you love your specialty,…because you'll be spending years studying and practicing it.…Take advantage of training sources…like LinkedIn Learning and on the job training…to target your weaknesses…and speed up your learning process.…
- Identifying your potential
- Targeting a career or specialization
- Researching jobs
- Locating training
- Shadowing cybersecurity experts
- Earning certifications
- Studying IT basics
- Revising your resume
- Applying for jobs
- Acing the interview
- Creating a professional brand
Skill Level Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
IT Security: Key Policies and Resourceswith Gregory Michaelidis23m 44s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Transitioning from an IT Career
3. Transitioning from a Non-IT Career
Studying IT basics3m 46s
4. Resume and Interview Strategies
5. Increasing Your Chances of Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.