There's a famous expression: "It's not what you know, it's who you know." While that may not always be the case, there's a reason why people say this. The people you know can be key to helping you transition to a career in cybersecurity. In this video, Marc shares ways to successfully network with people in cybersecurity to help you find your next cybersecurity job.
- [Narrator] Did you know that according to Forbes,…up to 80% of open jobs aren't advertised?…There are a lot of hidden jobs out there,…and the best way to find them…is through the people you know.…But if you're coming from a non-cybersecurity job,…it may seem tough to connect with people…in a field you're not familiar with.…Luckily, there are simple ways you can…build a network of people in cybersecurity.…One of the best ways to connect with cybersecurity people…is at security conferences and meetups.…There, you'll find a high density of people…who are active in the cybersecurity field.…
If you live in or near a large town or city…chances are good that security events are happening there.…Do some research online and ask the IT…and cybersecurity people you already know…to find security events that you can attend.…When you attend security events focus on making…sincere connections with cybersecurity people.…Strike up a conversation with someone.…Ask them what they do.…Talk to them about cybersecurity…and your interests in the field.…
- Identifying your potential
- Targeting a career or specialization
- Researching jobs
- Locating training
- Shadowing cybersecurity experts
- Earning certifications
- Studying IT basics
- Revising your resume
- Applying for jobs
- Acing the interview
- Creating a professional brand
Skill Level Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
IT Security: Key Policies and Resourceswith Gregory Michaelidis23m 44s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Transitioning from an IT Career
3. Transitioning from a Non-IT Career
Studying IT basics3m 46s
4. Resume and Interview Strategies
5. Increasing Your Chances of Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.