There are many IT careers that are complementary to cybersecurity careers. If you're currently working on an IT help desk, you may be able to leverage the troubleshooting skills you've developed to land a job as a security analyst. In this video, learn which IT jobs are the most complementary to cybersecurity jobs.
- [Instructor] If you're coming from an IT career,…you might be closer to a cybersecurity job…than you realized.…That's because many IT jobs are complimentary…to cybersecurity jobs.…Most IT jobs will build the baseline skills you need…to be successful in a cybersecurity career.…But there are some IT jobs that are so close…to security jobs that making the transition is a lot easier.…Let's take a look at some of them.…IT help desk to security analyst.…Working on an IT help desk builds many important skills…including troubleshooting, problem solving,…and verbal communication.…
As a security analyst, you would use these skills every day…to help solve security problems…and implement security solutions.…So the skills you develop on the help desk…make it a smoother transition to a security analyst job.…A job in IT network operations requires many…technical skills like understanding network protocols,…firewalls, and routing and switching.…Having these skills is essential…to testing the security of networks and finding flaws.…
- Identifying your potential
- Targeting a career or specialization
- Researching jobs
- Locating training
- Shadowing cybersecurity experts
- Earning certifications
- Studying IT basics
- Revising your resume
- Applying for jobs
- Acing the interview
- Creating a professional brand
Skill Level Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
IT Security: Key Policies and Resourceswith Gregory Michaelidis23m 44s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Transitioning from an IT Career
3. Transitioning from a Non-IT Career
Studying IT basics3m 46s
4. Resume and Interview Strategies
5. Increasing Your Chances of Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.