Hardware security modules (HSMs) provide secure storage of cryptographic keys. The Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) govern the protection of HSMs. In this video, Mike Chapple explains how the FIPS standards affect the selection and implementation of encryption algorithms.
- [Narrator] Hardware Security Modules are special purpose … computing devices that manage encryption keys … and can also perform cryptographic operations … in a highly efficient manner. … HSMs are expensive to purchase and operate, … but they provide an extremely high level of security … when configured properly. … One of their core benefits is that they can create … and manage encryption keys without exposing them … to a single human being, dramatically reducing … the likelihood that they will be compromised. … Cloud service providers often use HSMs internally … for the management of their own encryption keys … and also offer HSM services to their customers … as a secure method for managing customer keys … without exposing them to the cloud service provider. … Government agencies using HSMs must follow the requirements … outlined in Federal Information Processing Standard, … or FIPS 140-2. … This document, Security Requirements for Cryptographic … Modules, contains detailed requirements for how agencies …
Note: This course is designed to cover the most recent version of the CCSP exam, released in August 2019.
- Block storage types
- Cloud storage security threats
- Encryption basics
- Choosing encryption algorithms
- Key management
- Public key infrastructure (PKI)
- Creating and revoking digital signatures
- Securing common protocols
- Data protection
- Information management
- Information rights management
- Logging security events
- Continuous security monitoring
Skill Level Intermediate
CompTIA Cloud+ (CV0-002) Cert Prep: 2 Securitywith Joseph Holbrook1h 31m Intermediate
1. Cloud Data Storage
3. Key Management
4. Public Key Infrastructure
5. Cryptographic Applications
6. Data Protection
7. Information Management
8. Data Event Auditability
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.