Ransomware has become a popular means of maliciously encrypting files in order to extort payment to enable the files to be recovered. In this video, learn the concepts behind ransomware.
- (Narrator) One of the early uses of ransomware was in the … AIDS information introductory diskette. … Circulated to conference attendees … in 1989 by Dr. Joseph Popp. … After the diskette had been used to specify … a number of times, the malware would start … executing, and hide the directories, encrypt the files, … and then demand payment of one hundred and eighty nine … dollars to be sent to a PO box in Panama. … Popp was caught and declared mentally unfit … and agreed to donate the proceeds … of his crime to AIDS research. … There was little further development … of ransomware, until around 2005. … But since then, it has become a significant … source of revenue for cyber criminals. … It is now the prevalent form of … exploitation vector in financial crime. … It's easy to create a ransomware payload, … and it's a popular way of monetizing … a network of compromised computers. … The basic concept used in ransomware … is cryptography, the science of making an intelligible … message into something that isn't understandable, …
- What is denial of service?
- TCP SYN, Smurf, and UDP flooding
- Deauthenticating a wireless host
- Flooding HTTP
- Using BlackEnergy
- Flooding a SIP server
- Detecting P2P attacks with PeerShark
- Defeating DoS attacks