Discover why disabling logging and hiding files are valuable skills for an Ethical Hacker. Lisa Bock discusses how to hide files and tools. Files can be hidden in Alternate Data Streams or Steganography, but ultimately, installing a rootkit will provide a way to hide tools and give backdoor access to the system.
- [Voiceover] When conducting an…ethical hacking exercise, one valuable skill…is to be able to hid files and tools…with the goal of getting back into the system.…Files can be hidden in alternate data…streams, or Steganography, but ultimately,…installing a rootkit will provide a way…to hide tools, give backdoor access to a system,…and also some rootkits have log scrubbers…to hide any activity.…When administrative access is achieved,…the ethical hacker can disable auditing.…We can do this via the command line interface,…or the graphical user interface.…
Before you get out of the system, you'll want…to turn auditing back on.…Let's a take a look.…The Microsoft server family of operating systems…is popular with small businesses,…so let's take a couple of ways to view auditing…here in server 2008.…I'm at the command prompt, I'll right-click…and run as administrator.…And I'll type audit policy, list, space, user.…And here we can see the audit policy is defined…for the following user accounts.…
That's fine, and we could do more with auditpol,…
These tutorials, along with the other courses featured in the Ethical Hacking series, will prepare students to pass the Certified Ethical Hacker exam and start a career in this in-demand field. Find out more about the exam at https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/.
- Acquiring passwords
- Generating rainbow tables
- Understanding where passwords are stored
- Defending against privilege escalation
- Understanding spyware
- Protecting against keylogging
- Detecting steganography
- How hackers cover their tracks
Skill Level Intermediate
1. System Hacking Overview
2. Gaining Access
3. Privilege Escalation
6. Hiding in Plain Sight
7. Cover Your Tracks
How to cover your tracks2m 34s
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.