Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Directory traversal, part of CompTIA CySA+ (CS0-002) Cert Prep: 2 Vulnerability Management.
- [Narrator] Another common web application security flaw … is the directory traversal attack. … This attack allows an attacker … to manipulate the file system structure on a web server. … Let's first talk about two important characteristics … of Unix file systems. … When using a Unix file system, … a single period references the current directory. … Using two periods references the directory one level up … in the hierarchy. … A directory traversal attack … uses these navigation references … to try to move up and down the directory structure … searching for unsecured files. … They work when an application allows a user … to request files stored elsewhere in the file system. … We're going to try one of these attacks … in the WebGoat environment. … First, here's a look at the file structure … to help you understand what's happening in the demo. … The ThreadSafetyProblem file is the one … that we're actually supposed to get … with the web application. … The tomcat-users file is the one …
We are a CompTIA Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Configuring vulnerability scans
- Reporting scan results
- Barriers to vulnerability remediation
- Analyzing scan reports
- Common server, endpoint, and network vulnerabilities
- Software security issues, such as SQL injection
- Access control vulnerabilities
Skill Level Advanced
Learning Vulnerability Managementwith Lora Vaughn53m 54s Beginner
Learning Threat Modeling for Security Professionalswith Adam Shostack41m 41s Intermediate
Threat Modeling: Information Disclosure in Depthwith Adam Shostack29m 23s Intermediate
1. Creating a Vulnerability Management Program
2. Configuring and Executing Vulnerability Scans
3. Remediating Vulnerabilities
4. Analyzing Scan Results
5. Common Vulnerabilities
6. Software Security Issues
7. Specialized Technology Vulnerabilities
8. Access Control Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.