The function of anti-virus software is to detect malware when it tries to enter the system. In this video, learn how to use the EICAR test string to demonstrate that the antivirus software is working.
- [Instructor] Let's see how we scan for any viruses … or perps that might have slipped past … our real time protection and entered our computer. … We can do a quick scan from the main screen … or we can select the Scan Options link. … We have the option to do a quick scan, … which checks the common places where viruses might hide, … a full scan of every file on the hard drive, … or a custom scan, which we can configure. … Full scans take quite a long time … and are usually left to run when the computer … isn't being used for work. … We can also do an offline scan, … but I'll cover that later. … Quick scans are a good every day option, … but they still take a while. … Let's do a scan by selecting Custom Scan … and pressing Scan Now. … I can select the drives and directories that I want scanned … so I'll expand the C drive … and select Temp. … And I'll select Scan Now. … Now that's finished, I can see the results at the top, … 22 files scanned and no threats found. … I'll click on the Threat History link …
- Hackers and the kill chain
- Viruses, spyware, and adware
- Detecting malware with Windows Defender
- Using Windows Firewall and Linux iptables
- Scanning with Nmap
- Monitoring network communications with Netcat
- Combating application-level threats
- Scanning a website to check for vulnerabilities
- Capturing intruders through packet inspection
Skill Level Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Why Cybersecurity?
4. Network Scanning
5. Network Connections
6. Vulnerability Scanning
7. Web Applications
8. Monitoring Packets
Next steps1m 27s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.