Cryptographic technology may also be used to render sensitive data inaccessible. In this video, Mike Chapple explains the use of hashing, masking, and tokenization to protect data in the cloud.
- [Instructor] An alternative to removing data … from a dataset, is transforming it into a format … where the original information can't be retrieved. … This is a process called data obfuscation, … and we have several tools at our disposal … to assist with this process. … First, we can use a hash function … to transform a value in our dataset … to a hash value. … Remember from our discussion of hash functions, … that they are one-way functions. … If we apply a strong hash function to a data element, … we may replace the value in our file with the hashed value. … While it isn't possible to retrieve … the original value directly from the hashed value, … there is one major flaw to this approach. … If someone has a list of possible values for a field, … they can conduct something called a rainbow table attack. … In this attack, the attacker precomputes the hashes … of those candidate values, … and then checks to see if those hashes exist … in the data file. … Let's say that we had a file listing all …
- Block storage types
- Cloud storage security threats
- Encryption basics
- Choosing encryption algorithms
- Key management
- Public key infrastructure (PKI)
- Creating and revoking digital signatures
- Securing common protocols
- Data protection
- Information management
- Information rights management
- Logging security events
- Continuous security monitoring
Skill Level Intermediate
CompTIA Cloud+ (CV0-002) Cert Prep: 2 Securitywith Joseph Holbrook1h 31m Intermediate
1. Cloud Data Storage
3. Key Management
4. Public Key Infrastructure
5. Cryptographic Applications
6. Data Protection
7. Information Management
8. Data Event Auditability
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.