In this video, learn about the basics of cloud monitoring so you can get started.
- So let's talk about the basics of monitoring and cloud operations. First, operating cloud is much like operating traditional data centers. So ultimately, even though we don't see a device, we don't see a storage system, we don't see a database server, we don't see an application server. We know they're there. And we run them very much the same as we did with traditional data centers. In fact, in modern operations, ultimately, in many instances, those operating those systems almost never see the physical servers that are running within the data centers. So the same holds true with Cloud. However, all things must be done remotely. Keep that in mind. There's no option for us to go to the Data center and turn a server off and on to unplug and plug in a network switch. We have to depend on the cloud provider To take care of those things. So we're dealing exclusively with tools, technologies and approaches that deal with Remote operations and monitoring. And again, don't focus too much on the tools. Ultimately, The tools are going to provide us with the capability to do our jobs. But they aren't in essence, our jobs, our approaches or procedures, the way in which we do cloud based monitoring and operations, is going to to be specific to humans typically, and why we do use tools to carry out the work, we don't need to rely too much on them to get our jobs done. So the foundations of monitoring operation include governance or the ability to put policies or guard rails, around utilization of resources, performance, The ability to measure how well Resources are performing, getting things done in a certain amount of time, security or how we can secure a systems or provide proactive security measures to basically get in the way of hacks, breaches, things like that, that may occur to the system. So this is not just setting up user ID and password. This is about proactively monitoring the system to figure out If security issues are occurring are going to occur. Next costs are going to, in essence, monitor the cost of these systems. When you're dealing with public cloud providers, They're in essence Selling you something on demand in a per use basis. And so therefore, we do have to keep an eye on cost much like we keep an eye on our cost of electric bills and water bills and all. The health of the system. In other words, are things getting worse? Are we having performance issues that are becoming larger and larger over time and the ability to kind of take measurements to proactively adjust things or proactively fix things, that we're finding within our cloud infrastructure. And then finally reporting and by the way, this could be log pages that go several gigabytes of data that allow us to figure out what systems have been doing over time. Or it could be just a text message that comes to our phone that tells us to go fix something. So reporting is going to vary and its purpose, its formats, types, and usefulness. So how do we design solutions to this problem? So ultimately, when we're dealing with monitoring operations, and management systems, we're fighting complexity. And what happened over time, is that platforms, databases, programming languages, security, management, operations, architecture, All those things have basically Increased in complexity. So while the number of endpoints is increased, and those are anything that we're managing could be a database that application server and application itself, A file are increasing with our cloud systems that are under management. complexity is also increasing and as things become more complex, the ability to monitor manage them become more important. So even though we don't focus on tools, picking the technology that we're going to leverage is going to be critical, The right technology for the right job. Now, I don't want people to think that Technology is the lead decision that you need to make when you go off and set forth with monitoring operations, cloud based systems. But it is important that we pick the right tools for the job, The right tactics, and how we're going to approach monitoring and operations. Then setting up the process, setting up the human being, setting up the workbook solutions,. That allow us to think through how we're going to monitor on a daily basis, What things need to be done, What do we need to look out for? How do we recover from disasters? How do we defend ourselves against failures and how we improve as we move forward?
- Cloud health, performance, and governance monitoring
- Cloud monitoring analytics
- Cloud monitoring costs
- AWS CloudWatch
- Librato CloudWatch
- Microsoft cloud monitoring
- Creating a cloud monitoring and operations plan
- Defining cloud monitoring operations patterns