In this video, Marc Menninger challenges you to recommend mitigation solutions for a set of critical findings from an example technical security assessment. Learn how to make mitigation recommendations based on your personal experience or research.
(upbeat music) … - [Lecturer] In the challenge from the previous chapter, … you categorized four common security assessment findings. … For this challenge, you'll recommend mitigation solutions … for each of those findings. … As a reminder, the findings are missing security patches, … users have not received security awareness training, … transmitting sensitive information without encryption … and no security officer. … What actions would you recommend the organization take … to mitigate or reduce the risk of these security issues? … You may want to review the details of each of these controls … from the NIST website that I referred to in the solution … from the previous chapter. … The guidance for these controls often can be converted … into recommendations. … The mitigation recommendations don't need to be long, … one or two sentences is usually fine, … unless it's a complex finding. … Take a few minutes to think about what your recommendations … would be for each of the findings, …
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.