In this video, Marc Menninger challenges you to apply what you've learned in this chapter to see if you can pick the right technical security assessment for a given scenario. Learn that different types of technical security assessments can be used in different scenarios.
(upbeat music) … - [Lecturer] In this chapter, … I described multiple types of security assessments … and how they are performed differently … depending on the viewpoint selected for the test. … Now, let's see if you can choose … the right kind of assessment to conduct … given two scenarios. … In the first scenario, … your boss asks you to test how vulnerable … your organization is to an attack … from an internet-based hacker. … To simulate an actual unexpected attack, … your boss wants you to run the test … without notifying the IT or security staff. … Given these requirements, … which type of security assessment would you select? … Your choices are external or internal … and overt or covert. … In the next scenario, … you have concerns about what information … a malicious insider could access without authorization, … so you design a test that simulates … an attacker inside of your network. … You want to partner with your organization's IT … and incident response teams, … so you give them advanced notice about the test. …
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.