In this video, Marc Menninger challenges you to apply what you've learned in this chapter to see if you can pick the right reviews to conduct during the technical security assessment for a given scenario. Learn that different types of reviews can be used in different scenarios.
(lively electronic music) … - [Instructor] In this chapter, I covered … six review techniques that are useful, … when conducting technical security assessments. … Your challenge is to select the correct reviews, … for a given scenario. … In this scenario, … imagine there are a set of database servers … that are critical to your organization, … and the executive leadership want to know … if there is any risk … that data on these servers could be accidentally damaged. … So, you've been asked to determine … how susceptible your organization is … to data loss on these systems, due to human error. … As a reminder, … here are the review techniques you can use: … documentation review, … log review, … ruleset review, … system configuration review, … network sniffing, … and file integrity checking. … Think about the purpose of each of these types of reviews, … and decide which ones you would pick for this scenario. … When you're ready, watch the next video, … and I'll tell you which reviews I would choose. …
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.