In this video, Marc Menninger challenges you to install and run Hashsuite, a password cracker. Attempt to crack passwords from a sample file of password hashes and learn how password crackers work, which can be helpful on future technical security assessments.
(upbeat music) … - [Instructor] Here's your chance to crack some passwords. … In this challenge, you'll be installing and running … a free and easy-to-use password cracker called Hash Suite. … Hash Suite runs on Windows and Android operating systems … and we'll use it to demonstrate … how brute-force password cracking works. … To get started on this challenge, … go to the download page on the Hash Suite website … and download the free version of Hash Suite. … Then go ahead and install and open it. … Hash Suite comes with many lists of sample password hashes … that you can use to practice password cracking. … We'll use a list of hashes for simple passwords … to see a quick demonstration, … To import the list of password hashes, … click on the first tab in the top left of the screen, … then click on Import > From File. … Then click on the sample_pwdump.txt file … and click Open. … That will load almost 1000 password hashes into Hash Suite … to run the brute-force cracking. … On the main tab, …
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.