In this video, Marc Menninger challenges you to install and run Nmap. Learn how to run a Nmap scan against your host computer and observe how Nmap detects which ports are open and attempts to identify the operating system of your computer.
(upbeat electronic music) … - [Instructor] In this chapter, I described … various software tools to identify … and analyze testing targets. … For this challenge, you'll be installing … and running an easy to use … and well known network discovery utility called Nmap. … To make it a little easier to use, … we'll be installing the GUI version of an map called Zenmap. … Nmap and Zenmap are free multi-platform applications … and they're bundled together when you download them. … Just go to the Nmap download page … and download the latest version for your operating system. … When it's installed, open Zenmap, … and set the system you're running it on as the target. … We're just looking at the basic functionality of Nmap, … so we'll scan only one system. … For the profile, select Intent Scan, … and then, start the scan. … In the next video, we'll look at the results … Nmap gives me when I run the scan on my system. … …
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.