In this video, Marc Menninger challenges you to categorize assessment findings using control families defined in NIST SP 800-53. Learn how categorizing assessment findings can give some organization to the vulnerabilities found which helps during the remediation process.
(upbeat music) … - [Instructor] As I mentioned in this chapter, … you can gather a lot of findings … when you conduct your security assessment. … It's helpful to come up with a way to categorize … your findings to make it easier to read … and understand the results of your assessment. … It can also be a good way to see if there are patterns … of problems or parts of the security program … that are especially weak. … There are many ways to categorize your findings, … but I prefer the control families defined by NIST … special publication 800-53. … These control families are a logical and detailed … breakdown of all possible security controls. … In this challenge, … to get some categorizing practice, … you'll select the correct NIST control family … for some common security assessment findings. … Here are four common security assessment findings: … missing security patches, … users have not received security awareness training, … transmitting sensitive information without encryption, … and no security officer. …
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.