The goal of network monitoring for security purposes is to detect intruders. In this video, see how Wireshark can be used to detect intruders by monitoring their packets.
- [Narrator] We can use Wireshark to monitor for signs … of an intruder, lest assume we're looking for an intruder … from IP address 10.0.2.6 to return, … we can set up Wireshark to capture any packets … from that address that it sees. … We do this using a capture filter shown on the entry screen, … I'll click on the green icon, … and select the line which starts IPv4 address, … and I'll change the host address to 10.0.2.6. … I can now press the blue shark fin, … and start Wireshark, we're now waiting … for the first intruder packet to arrive … and we won't capture any unnecessary traffic. … I've got a terminal window open and I've got Nmap … installed on Windows, I'll run a port scan of Hydra. … The port scan has finished, let's see what Wireshark saw. … We can see a lot of packets have been captured, … over 2,000 packets for us to review, … the first two packets are local network address … resolution packets which we can ignore, … in packet three we can see a sin packet to port 21 …
- Hackers and the kill chain
- Viruses, spyware, and adware
- Detecting malware with Windows Defender
- Using Windows Firewall and Linux iptables
- Scanning with Nmap
- Monitoring network communications with Netcat
- Combating application-level threats
- Scanning a website to check for vulnerabilities
- Capturing intruders through packet inspection
Skill Level Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Why Cybersecurity?
4. Network Scanning
5. Network Connections
6. Vulnerability Scanning
7. Web Applications
8. Monitoring Packets
Next steps1m 27s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.