In order to test the security of an application, you're going to need the right tools for the job. In this video, learn how to build out your own application security testing environment.
- [Instructor] Whether you're doing offline … or online application security testing, … you're going to need a test lab. … Fortunately, my recommended lab … for offline testing is pretty lightweight. … I do almost all of my training … and testing in virtual machines. … It's just as easy to spin up a new VM … as it is to blow it away … and restore it to its default settings. … There are quite a few security VMs available for free, … but you'll need a virtual machine player … in order to use them. … VMware Workstation Player is one of, if not, … the most popular options, … although you will need to purchase a license … if you intend to use it commercially. … VirtualBox from Oracle is entirely free. … The trade-off is that you might need … to do a little extra work to get your VM … up and running in VirtualBox, … more so than you would if you were using VMware Player. … I used to run into compatibility issues between the two, … but those issues pop up less frequently as time goes on. … We'll touch on virtual machine players …
- Security frameworks
- OWASP Top Ten
- Building Security In Maturity Model (BSIMM)
- Planning your testing projects
- Creating security policies
- Source code reviews
- Application threat modeling
- Offline testing for OWASP Top Ten vulnerabilities
Skill Level Intermediate
DevSecOps: Automated Security Testingwith James Wickett1h 35m Intermediate
Security Testing Essential Trainingwith Jerod Brennen2h 48m Beginner
Security Testing: Nmap Security Scanningwith Mike Chapple1h 46m Intermediate
What you should know1m 17s
1. Leading Practices
2. Security Documentation
3. Source Code Security Reviews
4. Offline Testing for the OWASP Top Ten (2017)
Next steps3m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.