You have many advantages when transitioning to a career in cybersecurity from your current career compared to someone new to the job force. Learn why hiring managers prefer candidates with prior work experience, even if it isn't in IT or even security. Discover advantages you probably didn't know you have.
- [Instructor] You have unique advantages…if you're currently working and planning…to transition to a cybersecurity career.…Even if you have little or no security or IT experience,…your past work can tell a lot about you…and help you get the cybersecurity job you want.…Hiring managers are looking for people…who are experienced and well-rounded.…That's why work experience, even in a non-IT…or a non-security role,…can be better than no work experience at all.…Depending on your past work experience,…it can show your critical thinking skills,…persistence, or communication skills,…as well as other traits hiring managers like.…
This would be much more challenging…if you're starting out with no previous work experience.…Another benefit of prior work experience is…you've built a network of people who can endorse you…and the quality of your work.…If you're planning on changing careers,…make sure you gather current recommendations…from people you've worked with.…LinkedIn recommendations is perfect for this.…The best way to get recommendations is…
- Identifying your potential
- Targeting a career or specialization
- Researching jobs
- Locating training
- Shadowing cybersecurity experts
- Earning certifications
- Studying IT basics
- Revising your resume
- Applying for jobs
- Acing the interview
- Creating a professional brand
Skill Level Intermediate
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
IT Security: Key Policies and Resourceswith Gregory Michaelidis23m 44s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Transitioning from an IT Career
3. Transitioning from a Non-IT Career
Studying IT basics3m 46s
4. Resume and Interview Strategies
5. Increasing Your Chances of Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.