Join Malcolm Shore for an in-depth discussion in this video Hiding malware through cloaking and alternate data streams, part of Cybersecurity Foundations.
- People who penetrate systems with malware…go out of their way to hide it…once it's on the target system.…If the infection can evade detection,…it's more likely to accomplish its intended goals.…Let's have a look at some of the ways…in which malware can hide.…The first method is to use the techniques…used by the Windows operating system,…to hide its activities.…An example of this, is the hidden file…used by Internet Explorer, to keep a copy…of the user's browsing history.…Different versions of Explorer…hide it in different places.…
Let's have a look at where mine is.…I'm in a Command shell, and I'll go into…my User Application directory by typing…"cd\users…"\mshore\appdata…"\local ."…Now I'll navigate into the Microsoft Windows directory.…When I list the contents of the directory,…there's no History subdirectory.…Even if I include hidden files,…there's no History subdirectory.…
However, the History subdirectory…does exist, but we just can't see it.…Let's try to change directories and go into it.…That worked, so let's now see what's here.…
By the end of this course, you'll have a greater understanding of the threats that affect private, corporate, and government networks, and the knowledge to prevent attacks and defeat them.
- Dissecting cyber risk
- Working with NIST, COBIT 5, DSS05, and other frameworks
- Exploring cybercrime
- Understanding how malware hides
- Selecting security controls
- Managing user access and identity
- Monitoring your network
- Managing incident response
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Cryptography and Network Securitywith Lisa Bock1h 45m Intermediate
1. Cybersecurity Foundations
2. Cybersecurity Threats
3. Security Architecture
4. Incident Management
Responding to an incident6m 40s
Next steps1m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.