Join Malcolm Shore for an in-depth discussion in this video Dissecting security threats, part of Cybersecurity Foundations.
- In the early days of computing, the security threats…faced by business reflected the traditional pre-IT fraud.…One traditional method of fraud is to have nonexistent…employees on the payroll with pay being drawn,…and put into someone else's account.…In January 2012, a woman in Kaneohe, Hawaii,…was indicted for allegedly attempting to embezzle…more than $200,000 from the security guarding firm…for which she worked.…She'd included two associates on the payroll,…even though they didn't work for the company,…as well as maintaining pay for two employees who'd left.…
All the pay was directed into her bank account,…a friend's bank account, and a relative's bank account.…The second method known as salami fraud,…is so named because it resembles shaving a slice of meat.…In this case, what's shaved is the fractions taken off…in rounding calculations or changing transactions…by taking a few cents from them.…If the business deals in millions of transactions,…then this can become a significant fraud.…A third form of fraud is payment for nonexistent goods.…
By the end of this course, you'll have a greater understanding of the threats that affect private, corporate, and government networks, and the knowledge to prevent attacks and defeat them.
- Dissecting cyber risk
- Working with NIST, COBIT 5, DSS05, and other frameworks
- Exploring cybercrime
- Understanding how malware hides
- Selecting security controls
- Managing user access and identity
- Monitoring your network
- Managing incident response