Explore the service desk environment and its challenges.
- [Instructor] Working in a service desk is not for the faint of heart. It is a constant stream of handling customers, incidents, problems, and changes on a daily basis. We have to be technical and understand the business, understand our customer needs, handle stress, and oh, of course, provide friendly, quality customer service. It's kind of like walking and talking and chewing gum at the same time, but much harder. So why a career in the service desk industry? Well, for one, it's a fast-growing, multi-billion dollar business.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the employment of customer service representatives is projected to grow by 10% from 2014 to 2024. And, in this report, customer service representatives include service desk analysts and technicians. So why all this growth? Well, because customers are now smarter, more empowered, and more demanding than ever. So we have to have skilled talent to meet those needs. This is not the help desk of the 1980s.
This is the service desk of now and beyond. Our customer and technology and business demands are not only going to get bigger and greater, meaning a faster response is necessary. So the industry is in need of highly skilled, technical, fast-learning talent. There are so many different industries and types of support and customer bases that it's really an exciting time to be working in this industry. And, more importantly, there are many opportunities to move into other parts of information technology and the business when working in technical support.
In our next video, we're going to start with looking at the history of the service desk and then review current roles.
- Reviewing the responsibilities of service desk roles
- IT service desk problem-solving skills
- Diagnosing errors, incidents, and problems
- Security skills
- Key elements of communication
- Essential service desk skills
- Service desk certification paths
- Microsoft certifications
- Service management certifications
- Future service desk trends