Join Marc Menninger for an in-depth discussion in this video Who this course is for, part of Performing a Technical Security Audit and Assessment.
- This course is ideal for anyone whose job requires them to understand the security of their systems and networks, including IT security analysts, consultants, engineers, and managers, IT system and network administrators, and IT program managers. Regardless of your role, if you have an upcoming security audit and you want to make sure you're ready, this is a great course for you. Some of the information I'll cover in this course will be technical, so you'll want to have at least a basic understanding of system and network security.
You should know fundamental networking concepts, such as how TCP/IP networks, IP addressing, and subnetting work, as well as the purpose and functions of network devices like switches, routers, and firewalls. If you need to come up to speed on any of the technologies I don't cover in detail, I recommend these courses, Foundations of Networking: Networking Basics, Practical Cybersecurity, and Introduction to Kali Linux, among others.
You can find the links to these and other courses in the handout in the exercise files for this video.
- Cite the three phases of external security assessments.
- Explain the reasons for conducting a log review.
- Explain what network sniffing is and why it’s used.
- Describe when to use a file integrity checking tool.
- Differentiate between active network discovery and passive network discovery.
- Explain how to scan for vulnerabilities.
- Relate the three techniques useful for validating target vulnerabilities.
- Explain the four-stage methodology of conducting penetration tests.
Skill Level Intermediate
IT Security Careers and Certifications: First Stepswith Marc Menninger2h 6m Appropriate for all
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.