- Compliance can be a pretty significant burden…for security teams.…You know, when I began my career,…compliance wasn't really a thing.…Of the laws and regulations that exist today,…weren't there.…And now we have different laws and regulations…that affect many different verticals,…and all have obligations that involve…what cyber security professionals have to do everyday.…The burden has gotten so great…that now on my team I have a full-time person…just dedicated to IT compliance issues.…Making sure that everything we do…is in lock step with all the different legal frameworks…that we need to follow.…
I think one of the most important things…to recognize is that compliance and security…are not the same thing.…Security is about doing the right thing,…and making sure that we're applying appropriate controls…to protect confidentiality, integrity,…and availability of information.…It's the things that we think…that we need to do to protect our organization.…Compliance is about making sure that…you're meeting the letter of the law,…
- How does one break into the cybersecurity field?
- What are the various career tracks?
- How do organizations prevent a security breach?
- What are the compliance issues?
- Who is responsible for security in the cloud?
- How does IT security impact other business divisions?
These are the kinds of insights that can help you explore a new career, focus on a course of study, or even prepare for an interview.
- Recognize the priority levels of the different types of cybersecurity risks.
- Recall three common responsibilities for cybersecurity professionals.
- Identify strategies for minimizing the impact of a security incident.
- Name three cornerstones of the information security profession.
- Explain the primary objective of cybersecurity professionals.
- Determine when it is appropriate to utilize encryption to protect information.