Join Marc Menninger for an in-depth discussion in this video Vulnerability scanning tool demo, part of Performing a Technical Security Audit and Assessment.
- Let's look at how to use OpenVAS…to scan for system vulnerabilities…as part of a technical security assessment.…In this demo, I've installed…OpenVAS on the Kali Linux system,…as described in the Introduction to Kali Linux course.…I'll log into the OpenVAS server using admin credentials.…Before beginning a vulnerability scan, it's important…to ensure that the signatures are up to date.…In this version of OpenVAS, that's done…by updating the vulnerability feeds.…
I'll go to administration and select…the feeds that I want to synchronize.…I'll hover over administration and click on NVT feed.…To synchronize, I'll click Synchronize With Feed Now.…Synchronization can be quick or slow, depending…on how out of date the signatures are.…Be sure to allow enough time for a long…synchronization prior to your vulnerability scan.…When the feed version doesn't change, then…it's the most current version.…
Next, I'll define the target address range,…which was identified in the network discovery step.…I'll click on Configuration and Targets.…
- Developing technical security assessments
- Conducting technical security reviews
- Identifying and analyzing targets
- Validating target vulnerabilities
- Planning a technical assessment
- Conducting a technical assessment
- Implementing remediation and mitigation
Skill Level Intermediate
IT Security Careers and Certifications: First Stepswith Marc Menninger2h 6m Appropriate for all
1. Overview of Technical Security Assessments
2. Technical Security Assessment Reviews
3. Identify and Analyze Targets
4. Validate Target Vulnerabilities
5. Planning Technical Security Assessments
6. Executing the Technical Security Assessment
7. Post-Testing Activities
Report the results2m 16s
Next steps1m 32s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.