Security monitoring efforts generate a large amount of information that may be useful to analysts investigating a security incident, or simply monitoring enterprise cybersecurity. In this video, Mike Chapple explains how machine and application logs, packet dumps, and the output of security devices all play an important role in security event data analysis.
- [Instructor] Security monitoring efforts generate…a large amount of information that may be useful…to analysts investigating a security incident…or simply monitoring enterprise cyber security.…Machine and application logs, packet dumps,…and the output given by security devices all play…an important role in security event data analysis.…As you respond to a security event, you'll need to gather…and analyze information from a wide variety of sources.…
You've already learned how server…and desktop operating systems generate massive amounts…of log information that may contain…valuable security information.…These log records provide valuable insight…into the activities that occur within systems…and applications and are particularly useful…when reconstructing the sequence of events…that took place during a security incident.…In my course covering SSCP Domain 6:…Network and Communication Security,…you'll learn more about network monitoring techniques…including the use of packet dump tools…to capture, display, and analyze network traffic.…
- Risk management actions
- Ongoing risk management
- Risk management frameworks
- Scanning for threats and vulnerabilities
- Advanced vulnerability scanning
- Monitoring log files
- Code review and code tests
- Test coverage analysis
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/18/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover identifying threats, understanding attacks, technology and process remediation, remediating vulnerabilities, and security monitoring. In addition, the following topics were updated: risk management and monitoring log files.
IT Security Careers and Certifications: First Stepswith Marc Menninger2h 6m Appropriate for all
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
1. Risk Management
2. Threat Modeling
3. Threat Assessment
4. Remediating Vulnerabilites
5. Security Monitoring
6. Software Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.